Saturday, April 7, 2012

Patiently Waiting

I will begin this blog with saying that God used my son to get my attention on this particular topic. This is not the first time that he has used one of my children in my life or the life of someone I love.

I will usually read my children a children's story and then a story from their bible book or my son's bible. I had been reading lately from my son Elijah's bible. On this particular night, my son asked me to read from his Bible story book. He brought it right over to me and reminded me where we had left off.

At this time I have been struggling with being patient, and waiting on God in many areas of my life. I am sure many can relate. It can be difficult being patient especially when the situations involve relationships, illness in the family, and when your future has a big question mark.

The story was from 1 Samuel 13:1-14
Here is the setting. Saul was the king of the Israelites at the time. The Philistines army was beginning to grow more fierce and mighty. The number was 3,000 chariots, 6,000 charioteers, and soldiers as plentiful as the sand camped at Mikmash, east of Beth Aven.

Saul and the Israelites began to get scared at the site of this army and hid in a place called Gilgal. He then sounds the trumpet calling the Israelites to fight. A large number arrived in fear.It seems as though Saul has forgotten first that God was on his side and that his army would not be defeated.Before going into battle Samuel a priest was to offer a sacrifice to God. Saul had waited the seven days that was set by Samuel. But Samuel had not yet arrived. Saul began to get scared, and impatient because his men started to flee, and scatter. Saul then decides to offer the sacrifice himself to God. Immediately following, Samuel arrives on the scene asking Saul "What he has done?" Saul was afraid that the enemy might attack, so he made the offering himself.

The consequences of this action would affect Saul forever. Samuel tells him God was angry with him for not following his command and waiting for him. In essence, he did not trust God and took matters into his own hands. In the end, Saul is told that he has lost God's favor, and protection. Next the kingdom would be taken from him, and given to a man who is after God's own heart which soon would be David.

This was a powerful reminder to me of how important it is to wait patiently even when it seems like it could be forever for an answer. God was reassuring me that he is in control and I need to sit back and wait.

The result of impatient, impulsive, disobedient behavior could lead to much destruction and loss in one's life. Okay... maybe not losing a kingdom per say. I think we can all admit that some of these behaviors exhibited in our own lives have lead us down paths we will never go down again because we have learned from past experiences.

Or he may chose someone else to accomplish his will when we choose to disobey and follow our own wants and desires. Then we will miss out on something he has has for us that may be better than what we could have even imagined.

For me it is definitely a growing process each day and year to wait on the Lord. His timing is always different from mine. I can relate as I am sure many others can that we want things and answers right away. Even in the world and culture we live in. We can get anything at anytime we want. We are spoiled in so many ways and we do not even realize it. The world says "give it to me now". God says " Wait on me".

Gods ways are not ours and the answers are for us to know in his time.
This is a almost alien way of looking at things than the world's way.
Deuteronomy 29:29-The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law.

When at times there is just no answer and the only thing we can do is wait on him. It a humbling experience to say the least. I know God has our best interests at heart. I do not doubt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment